slightly OT - journal or project tracking app query

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Mon Aug 30 11:43:24 PDT 2004

On 08/30/04 02:28 PM, Chuck Swiger sat at the `puter and typed:
> Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> [ ... ]
> > I'll have to check this out.  Only thing is I'm not crazy about the
> > monolithic nature of emacs - I don't even have it installed.  Vim
> > isn't nearly so huge (yet).
>
> Although I'd rather use Emacs for anything serious, I don't have it installed
> everywhere either: vi or ee do have size advantages, you're certainly right.
>
> However, the ChangeLog format is pretty simple, no reason you couldn't emulate
> it by hand.  Entries look like:
>
> 2003-05-30  Charles Swiger  <chuck at pkix.net>
>          * added Mersenne Twister RNG in place of srandom()
>
>          * used cproto to convert old K&R C code to ANSI with prototypes,
>          which fixed a program hang in the dust accretion process
>
> ...but emacs does a good job of autoindenting new entries for you, and
> wrapping the text, etc.

I believe vim does the same.  I use it exclusively for C/C++, Perl,
HTML, etc.  Autoindenting is included in pretty much all "full
featured" editors, isn't it?

Looking through the vim shared directory (/usr/local/share/vim/vim63/)
I found that there are CHANGELOG syntax and filetype defs.  Perhaps
it's similar to the emacs mode.

I'm going to look through the filetype.txt file
(/usr/local/share/vim/vim63/doc/filetype.txt) to see what it supports
out of the box.

Thanks again.
Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org