maximum hard drive capacity supported?

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Mon Aug 30 09:32:11 PDT 2004

+----[ Subhro <subhro.kar at gmail.com> (30.Aug.2004 12:23):

Subhro,

thanks for your reply,

[snipped]

| > I'm now confused on the extent to which FreeBSD uses or
| > relies on the BIOS. I know that for PnP Windows does rely on
| > the BIOS, and it seems to me that FreeBSD does not.
|
| No thats not true. The BIOS is like a guide which introduces to the OS
| the different hardware available to the system. So even FreeBSD needs
| the BIOS to start the games up.

OK.

| > With respect to this particular issue (max hard drive
| > capacity supported): is the BIOS limiting here?
|
| As you guessed, the limiting factor is your mo bo BIOS and not
| FreeBSD. How old is your BIOS? Generally any BIOS newer than 2 yrs can
| support upto 120G drives without any problems.

the latest update to this BIOS is from Oct, 2000 (vba-2bab,
according to Soyo:
http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/selectresults.php?language=&col1=Motherboard&col2=60&col3=BIOS+Upgrade

there are no newer updates for this mobo.

| You could check the motherboard manufacturer site for the exact size
| of hdd that is supported but don't bet your house on it ;-)

+----]

Hmm, I couldn't even find this info. That's why I asked.
This does not seem to be mentioned anywhere ... I could try
and see ... but I don't want to spend my time and my
vendor's time trying disks, getting them back to the store,
and so on. Currently I'm using 26 GB disks and had no
problem.

I already had sent and email to Soyo, but the answer will
take a day or two.

Thanks again,

Fernan

Fernan Aguero -  fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Phone: +54 11 4580-7255/7 ext 310, Fax: +54 11 4752-9639
Check http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan for more info.