Which disk is which

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 01:54:45 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 03:20:06PM +0800, John wrote:
> Subhro wrote:

> >The device ad represents a IDE/ATA disk and the da device represents a
> >SCSI disk. As you have got one IDE hard disk and one SCSI hard disk in
> >your box, its showing up as ad0 and da0. But as you say that there is
> >no SCSI in that box, then something seems to be wrong. Check your BIOS
> >and disable any onboard SCSI controllers if present
> >

> There are no SCSI controllers. It's your basic cheap Acer desktop
> Pentium III of a few years ago.
>
> As I said already, "I have no SCSI in this box."

USB disks and memory sticks show up as da devices as well.

You can get more information about the device mappings if you boot up
the disk2 .iso -- that's the recovery disk, so it won't try and
install anything.  It will give you a single-user mode shell[1]
running entirely off CDRom.  From there, you can use the dmesg(8)
command to look at the results of the kernel scanning and identifying
your hardware.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[1] If you find the shell interface problematic, you could do the same
trick using a FreeSBIE disk -- http://www.freesbie.org/

                                                      Savill Way