simultaneous apache 1.3x & 2.x

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Sat Aug 28 17:46:40 PDT 2004

Eric F Crist wrote:

> Robin Becker wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to install squirrelmail, but it seems that PHP + apache 2 +
>> squirrelmail doesn't go. I tried and although the install proceeds I
>> get  crashes in PHP.
>>
>> PHP appears to deprecate apache 2 at present and looking at the
>> squirrelmail requirements it seems that apache 1.3 is the natural
>> version.
>>
>> Unfortunately this freebsd 4.9 system is also required to serve SVN so
>> I must keep apache 2.
>>
>> So can I get both apaches working on the same system? Or perhaps
>> someone has some advice about getting squirrelmail working with apache 2.
>

> Doesn't squirrelmail require some IMAP version or another?
>
> Just a question.
>
> Eric Crist

After reflection I think I understand what you're getting at;
squirrelmail isn't going to be used with the system's mail server. It's
to be used to allow offsite workers to query our hosted IMAP server
using http. Our offsite people are often behind firewalls and our IMAP
sits on a system at pair.com which is apparently controlled by the
firewall teams.
--
Robin Becker