simultaneous apache 1.3x & 2.x

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Sat Aug 28 16:33:23 PDT 2004

On Aug 28, 2004, at 5:20 PM, Robin Becker wrote:

> I'm trying to install squirrelmail, but it seems that PHP + apache 2 +
> squirrelmail doesn't go. I tried and although the install proceeds I
> get  crashes in PHP.
>
> PHP appears to deprecate apache 2 at present and looking at the
> squirrelmail requirements it seems that apache 1.3 is the natural
> version.
>
> Unfortunately this freebsd 4.9 system is also required to serve SVN so
> I must keep apache 2.
>
> So can I get both apaches working on the same system?

You can do what I do -- install apache from source, not from ports.  I
have apache 2 and several apache1 installations running on one machine.

It builds easily on freebsd and you can pass --prefix to the configure
scripts to stick it whereever you want in your filesystem.

I use /usr/local/apache/apache_FOO

Chad