vi editor related question

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Sat Aug 28 00:42:41 PDT 2004

Consider using a different editor in windows like UltraEdit.  It can
save in "unix" format and supports syntax hi-lighting.  Better yet,
remove windows from the equation. :)

There are a lot of nice text editors for UNIX like OSes including
xemacs, gedit (gnome), kate (kde), etc.

I do understand the temptation to use a specific editor though.  For
large class assignments (C++), I often work on my laptop using xcode
(apple).  Fortunately, Apple switched to the winning team (UNIX) for
line termination with OSX.

On Aug 27, 2004, at 7:52 PM, Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I edit C++ codes with a certain text editor under Windows XP, and then
> I open the C++ codes using vi editor under FreeBSD. Then, there are
> bunch of "^M" sign at the end of each line. Does anyone know why this
> is happening? And, does anyone can tell me how to avoid this kind of
> things?
>
> Cheers,

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com