FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE and Windows XP on one system

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 27 04:45:37 PDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:58:23 +0200, "Marc van Woerkom"
<Marc.Vanwoerkom at FernUni-Hagen.de> said:
> >I use the FreeBSD boot manager which comes with the
> >system.
>
> Is there a difference between the one that sysinstall
> installs and the one in the tools directory of a
> installation cdrom?
>
> Anyway, I put the 40GB drive as Master at the end of the
> cable and the 2GB drive as Slave in the middle (everything
> jumpered).
> I also read the C/H/S values from the drive cases.
>
> Installation was ok (the 40GB shows up as ad2, the 2GB as
> ad3). But the boot prompt showed
>
> F1: ??? (refers to XP I guess)
> F2: FreeBSD
>
> F1 didn't do anything (except blanking some characters on
> the screen).
> F2 came up with a "no kernel  0:ad(0,a)/kernel" or so
> message.
>
> And in the bloody bios I have to set the hd type to
> 'none', using 'auto' nor 'user' with C/H/S lead to a hang.
>
> So I am close to buy a new mobo this evening.

Well, I wouldn't dissuade you from the joy of buying new hardware, but
you can solve your problem more easily than that if you prefer.

following:

1 - Install the FreeBSD boot loader on *both* hard drives.  Also be sure
to set the FreeBSD slice (a/k/a "partition" in Windows-speak) bootable
during sysinstall.  FYI: The '???' label will be for your Windows
partition, and it should work.

2 - Use the GAG boot loader.  It's simple as can be.  <URL:
http://gag.sourceforge.net/>.

Jud