burncd + ioctl

abc at ai1.anchorage.mtaonline.net abc at ai1.anchorage.mtaonline.net
Thu Aug 26 22:42:24 PDT 2004

FBSD 4.10
CREATIVE CDRW
acd0: CD-RW <CREATIVE CD-RW RW8435E> at ata1-master PIO4

after rebooting and power down and spending more time trying to
trick the CDRW into doing something, i finally tried:

$ burncd -f /dev/acd0 erase file.iso

the 'file.iso' seemed to force 'burncd' to
do something - eg - make the CD light blink.

after hitting up arrow-enter 100x,
after a lot of "-1" errors, it finally started
to erase.  and then it started to work again.
i can't make complete sense of it yet,
but possibly there are software methods
around the glitch of the previous post.

another method i had success with a few times was
to put a CD with files and a filesystem in the drive,
which would mount/list OK, and then 'detach' the CDRW
with atacontrol, and then stick a problematic
'from the store' blank in the drive, then
'attach', and then it could be 'erased'
with burncd.

the best i can figure is, there's something
funky about 700MB CDRW media, everyone seems
to have a problem with it in a freaky way:

                    RE: PCWorks: 700 MB versus 650 MB CDRW?