Messed up port updating (Was Re: Updated to 4.10, now portupgrade?)

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Aug 26 16:10:19 PDT 2004

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

> Ok, first off I didn't follow the instructions above verbatim.
> What I did do is copy ports-supfile, edited it, and perform a cvsup
> using it.
> All it seemed to do, however, is delete everything in the ports
> directory.
>
> Here's how I edited my ports-supfile
>
> *default host=cvsup10.us.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> ports-all
>

> Did I do something horribly wrong?

Yes.  Well, not horrible, but this was pilot error.

As I think you've been told once already recently
(or at least someone has told someone else within
the last 48 hours or so) you ***must*** use:

*default release=cvs tag=.

       (that's a dot or 'period'), because the ports tree isn't
tagged like the RELENG branches are.

So, in your case, cvsup replaced your extant ports
tree with all the ones from the release it couldn't
find, which happened to be nil ... and your ports
collection is now blank.

Kevin Kinsey