Particular problem with ftpd

Pedro n/a napalmblood at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 11:05:24 PDT 2004

Hi everybody,

  My name is Pedro and I'm having some troubles with "ftpd". I'd like to ask
you for some help.
  I'm a complete beginner at FreeBSD, my distribution is FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE
and I've been configuring it as I read things on the internet.

I'm running FTPD in stand-alone mode, with a single line home-made
initialization script (on rc.d)

# ftpd -D -ll

I adjusted the "config" files /etc/ftpusers and /etc/ftpchroot, to give a
particular group the priviledge to read the folders of the FTP "home" and
obviously "root" the group to this directory.

After that I configured my TCP Wrapper to allow (and generate a log) with
all the requests made to the ftpd deamon (/etc/hosts.allow)

ftpd : ALL : spawn (/usr/echo %c >> /var/log/ftpconn) : allow
ALL : ALL : deny

I execute the FTP program from command-line and then it goes well. I just
log on with a valid user and proceed.

#ftp localhost

But the problem comes when I ask a buddy to test my ftp... everyone tells me
the same thing:
"My client says your server is busy."

I've already looked for a log at /var/log, but I didn't find anything that
even register a connection request.

If you could give me a single sparkle of light... I didn't find anything on
the documentations or over the internet that tells me a thing about that...

Thanks in Advance,
Pedro