cannot remove own file from tmp

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Thu Aug 26 06:08:54 PDT 2004

On Thursday 26 August 2004 19:48, Mipam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a system where tmp is a symlink to /var/tmp
> The permissions or /var/tmp are as follows:
> (doing a ls -l in /tmp):
> drwxrwxrwt  3 root     wheel   512 Aug 26 11:48 tmp

This seems rather strange. If you are actually in /tmp
(I take it you mean by 'cd /tmp') then
 % ls -l
should not report a tmp directory unless you have
another tmp as a subdirectory of /tmp i.e. /tmp/tmp

If you are actually in the root directory and
/tmp is a truly symbolic link to /var/tmp then 'ls -l'
should report something like:
   l?????????  ? root  wheel ?? Aug 26 11:48 tmp -> /var/tmp

Please check your information.

Malcolm