crontab question involving cvsup

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Thu Aug 26 00:54:49 PDT 2004

On Thursday 26 August 2004 12:19 am, Subhro Kar <subhro.kar at gmail.com>
wrote:
> First of all, you need to read the manual page for cvsup. It is
> clearly stated that the option -L shows the amount of verbosity cvsup
> maintains. If you are running it from inside a script, then either
> you have to
> reduce the verbosity to 1 ie, the command will be cvsup -g -L 1
> supfile OR
> redirect the output to some file (if you want to look into it later)
> or to /dev/null to discard it.

Yes, I've read the cvsup man page, but hadn't considered that verbosity
might cause a failure if it's not directed. I think that might have
been my problem. I had previously been directing output to a file, but
not recently.

> Secondly, You can always set up multiple crontabs. But since you are
> using && (ie doo only if prev was successful), that would works if
> the output of cvsup is properly dealt with.

Well, again I know cvsup is working, but I think the verbosity might be
a problem in executing the next command; i.e., I think since it can't
direct output, it does run cvsup but "fails" in the verbosity aspect,
and therefore no more commands are executed after. In any event, I
think I'll try it with cvsup -g -L 2 supfile > /dev/null 2>&1 (of
course with the proper paths) and see what happens, and alternately try
to direct output to a file the next time, as I'd like to have a log.
I'll probably also change it to portsdb -Uu as Ivailo suggested, as I
don't need to have it run quickly when it's a daily job done when I'm
sleeping.

Thanks for the help.

- jt