FreeBSD.org website CMS

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 06:29:09 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 09:03:56AM -0400, wesw at cfl.rr.com wrote:
> As a fan of FreeBSD, I suppose it's also no surprise that I like the FreeBSD.org website layout.
>
> Hoping to implement and learn a website content management system (CMS) myself, I was wondering what software(s) FreeBSD.org uses to manage their vast website?
>
> I apologize if this information is posted on the site, but after looking for it for some time I still came up empty-handed.

The site is built out of cvs at regular intervals -- different parts
of the site get rebuilt with different frequencies.  Take a look at
the www section of the FreeBSD cvs repository for details of how the
main parts are managed:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/www/

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/www/share/mk/web.site.mk

Mostly it's just a case of checking out the www collection from cvs,
and then running 'make' at the top level.  A lot of the html is
generated by doing XSLT transforms of XML input, or by processing SGML
input -- the XML stuff tends to be more recent, and seems to be slowly
taking over.

Large chunks of the website come out of the documentation project: see
the FreeBSD Documentation Project Primer for details of how they
generate the required output:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html

The FDP stuff is produced by processing SGML sources: it can be
turned into web pages, as here; or into PDF etc. for printing out in
book format.

Finally, take a look at the freebsd-www at ... mailing list, where the
project's webmasters tend to hang out:

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-www/2004-August/

There's quite a lot of cross-over between that list, and
freebsd-doc at ... as you might expect.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way