vinum rebuildparity, when?

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Wed Aug 25 01:31:31 PDT 2004

Hi,

I was wondering about the vinum 'rebuildparity' command, especially the
times when one needs to use this.

I just recently found out, based on reading the RAIDframe documentation,
that you're supposed to recheck/rebuild the parity after every disk crash.
As I hadn't been doing that that would explain a lot of corrupted data in
the past few weeks :/

The problem is that I can't find anything in the vinum docs about this
command other than it's purpose. What I don't understand is the difference
between reviving a disk in a RAID-5 plex, and rebuilding the parity.
When I start a degraded disk it starts to revive -- which led me to believe
that vinum was also recalculating the parity. Evidently it wasn't.
I'm therefore now updating my procedures to always run 'checkparity -v <plex>'
after a disk crash.

Does anyone know if this is supposed to be this way?

--Stijn

--
"A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in."
		-- Kim Alm, alt.sysadmin.recovery