X issue

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Tue Aug 24 21:47:38 PDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:00:47 -0500
"Dustin" <dustin at marsik.org> wrote:

> I'm having some issues, I believe with XFree86.  I just installed
> FreeBSD 5.2.1 Rel, installed XFree86 v 4.3.0, then ran CVsup to
> update my ports tree, then installed Fluxbox from ports.  I managed
> to configure it well enough to get into Fluxbox, but when I exited
> out from X, the system would hang.  I ended up having to hard-shut
> it down after it hung.  Now I cannot get back into X.  When I run
> 'startx', the system hangs. What kind of things can I try now?

I have had this happen once or twice... when you power back up you may
find your config file X wasted(happened to me once)... you may also
want to recompile the Xserver possibly too.

BTW what video card and options set for it? I noticed the older nvidia
drivers seemed more proned to going flaky than the newer ones have
been so far.