cvsup

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 17:30:43 PDT 2004

it was said:

>BTW!  After updating to 4-STABLE do I then perform all the following
>steps?
>
>Go to /usr/src
>enter the command: make buildworld KERNCONF=yourkernelname
>then: make kernel
>reboot
>go to /usr/src and type: make installworld
>
>And what is a good kernel name?  Maybe in this case, kernel.STABLE ?

Hello,

Aaahhh...no. You are leaving out steps. To clarify, in /usr/src, do
this:
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=WHATEVER (your edited conf file)
make installkernel KERNCONF=WHATEVER
<reboot into single user mode>
mergemaster -p
make installworld
mergemaster
<reboot>

See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
(URL may have wrapped)
just to be sure you haven't forgotten anything.

A couple of notes: The supfile you are using does NOT update your
ports. Speaking of which, using a refuse file is not "recommended"
because <mind a blank here, you get an error about something>. The
kernel name doesn't really matter if you do not swap kernels between
machines and use different names (e.g. KERN1, KERN2) so you know which
one you're running. Finally, I like to use script(1) to write a file to
/var when I do builds so I can go back and actually read the WARNING:
messages that whiz by and scare the bejesus out of me at 4:00 AM.