Installing ports

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Tue Aug 24 12:11:19 PDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:11:49 +0200
"Florian Hengstberger" <e0025265 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 5.2.1 and I'm in trouble with installing software
> using the ports collection. After typing "make install" everything
> seems to be okay, but in most cases I get a message like this after
> a few minutes:
>
> fetch time out

hello florian,

could you please help us to help you, by providing more details?  for
example, it would be really useful to know which ports you're having the
problem with.  it could indeed be that the mirrors for a given port may
require updating (but we're not going to look at all +11k ports just
because you dropped us a line  ;)

i get the feeling that you are experiencing the problem with many
different ports.  as such, mirror lists are an unlikely culprit (or we
would be seeing a lot of such complaints on the mailing lists).

> It seemed to me that the mirror servers are not uptodate or that
> some filenames have changed in the meantime, because fetching data
> from ftp-servers worked a few times.
> But in nearly all cases I had to copy the files manually in
> /usr/ports/distfiles as "make install" finally suggested.
>
> So I installed a new ports-collection with sysinstall over ftp but
> things haven't changed. I'm a little confused, because fetching data
> from FreeSD ftp-servers doesn't work too (remember that some fetches
> were successful!).

i have never installed a new ports collection this way, so i cannot speak
about the reliability of this method.

cvsup, on the other hand, is a method for which i (and the handbook) can
vouch.  if you haven't already, check out the handbook entry on cvsup
(section III-A-4).  it should probably clear up your issue (unless, of
course, you're having a networking problem).

if you're in a pinch, you can probably also download a copy of the tree
from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/ports.tar.gz and extract
it over your existing /usr/ports

i don't know how often that tarball is updated, but the latest timestamp on
it is 2004.08.24 03:38:00, so it should work too.

anyway.  hope this helps.

cheers,
epi