Installing ports

Florian Hengstberger e0025265 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Aug 24 11:11:53 PDT 2004

Hi!

I'm using FreeBSD 5.2.1 and I'm in trouble with installing software
using the ports collection. After typing "make install" everything
seems to be okay, but in most cases I get a message like this after
a few minutes:

fetch time out

It seemed to me that the mirror servers are not uptodate or that
some filenames have changed in the meantime, because fetching data
from ftp-servers worked a few times.
But in nearly all cases I had to copy the files manually in
/usr/ports/distfiles as "make install" finally suggested.

So I installed a new ports-collection with sysinstall over ftp but
things haven't changed. I'm a little confused, because fetching data
from FreeSD ftp-servers doesn't work too (remember that some fetches
were successful!).

Please help me,
Florian

Florian Hengstberger