Reinstalling, then upgrading (Was Re: Salvageable? (Was Re: make installworld error))

Curtis Vaughan curtis at npc-usa.com
Mon Aug 23 11:30:02 PDT 2004

Thanks to everyone who has been answering my questions over the past
several days (weeks) concerning installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

I am now going to try again.  I am installing v. 4.8 on a server.  This
server is to be a Postfix w/Courier IMAP server integrated into a
Linux-based network, authentication centralized using PAM & LDAP.
That's about it.

Now, some people might say, don't install 4.8 go straight for 5.x.  The
reason I am doing this, however, is because I want to not only know how
to perform upgrades, but I want hands on experience.  So, hopefully I
am not making this too difficult for me.

Finally, while I'm reinstalling 4.8, I would like to know something
about the following.
It seems to me that cvsup is actually downloading the entire repository
of packages for FreeBSD.  Is that really what one has to do to perform
an upgrade?  It seems like what you would need to do is merely upgrade
those packages necessary for the latest kernel, then upgrade the
kernel, then upgrade all installed packages.  (Packages meaning ports,
right?)

Thanks again!

Curtis