Salvageable? (Was Re: make installworld error)

Ilker Ozupak ilkerozupak at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 11:26:32 PDT 2004

On Monday 23 August 2004 20:39, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> So, could someone tell me if my system is salvageable or not and what I
> need to do?
> Or, should I just start over?
>
> Curtis
>

> On 21 Aug, 2004, at 17:06, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> > So, it is my understanding that I did in fact do things right (or that
> > is
> > to say that The Complete FreeBSD had the right directions.  But that
> > something else went wrong.
> >
> > BTW, I installed 4.8 from scratch.  Then spent a couple of days
> > preparing
> > to do a cvsup making sure that I set everything up right (sources:
> > Complete FreeBSD, freebsd.org, and this list.
> >
> > Then I did the cvsup.  Everything else I've already written about in a
> > previous letter.

using which sup configration:
- -----------------sample---------------
*default host=cvsup.de.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/tmp/cvsup
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default tag=RELENG_4_5
what is default tag in your sup file ???

> > Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that booting into an old kernel is an
> > option.  I have looked at the files on my system and there is no
> > kernel.old or anything like it. There is only a kernel directory under
> > the /boot/ directory.
5.x put kernel there.it seems you

since you are using 4.8 your kernel should be in /kernel
and old one should be /kernel.old (these are files

and also you should have /modules and /modules.old

we have to learn our kernel version first.

"uname -a"
this is from a 4.8 stable system:
FreeBSD sunburn 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Fri Jul 11 04:42:22 EEST
2003    root at sunburn:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/stable_48  i386
 what is your "uname -a" output

and one more impotent question.
do you remember your runlevel when you tried "make installworld" ??

documentation suggest that you boot into sibgle user?

were you in single user??
> > What information do I need to provide to perhaps salvage this system?
> > And what steps did I possibly miss?
> >
> > Curtis

> >> which is equivalent to "make buildkernel installkernel".
> >>
> >> It doesn't explain quite what's happening here, though -- and he
> >> didn't even *hint* at such basic clues as what version he was updating
> >> from or to (there may be extra steps for large updating jumps).
> >>
> >> Booting the old kernel is certainly worth a try before starting over,
> >> though; the system is quite likely to be salvageable.

- --
- --
gpg public key @ http://cmpe.emu.edu.tr/ilker/ilker.asc
pub  1024D/A4F41BD0 2003-07-16 Ilker Ozupak <ilker.ozupak at emu.edu.tr>
Primary key fingerprint: E509 17B6 C8E2 ADB7 32A7  4746 BF14 814A A4F4 1BD0