sendmail from 4.10-STABLE firewall

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Aug 23 07:39:10 PDT 2004

Joe Kraft wrote:
> I'm using a 4.10-STABLE based firewall, which is happily chugging along.
> It's sending it's daily messages to a local account via sendmail, which
> I check by logging in using an ssh connection.
[ ... ]
> 3) Is there a way to convince sendmail to send to something like
> foo at 10.0.0.55?  I could just put that in my existing aliases file and
> not have to install anything more.

The key part of your request is answered by using IP addrs in square brackets,
which will not require DNS MX or A lookups.  So, add something like:

foo@[10.0.0.55]

...to the ~/.forward file of root or wherever the mail is going to now.  Yes,
you could put this in the aliases, or even use a mailertable to redirect all
local mail to the other system.

--
-Chuck