What are the best 3D games in the ports collection?

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sun Aug 22 23:43:45 PDT 2004

On Saturday 21 August 2004 11:29 pm, Justin <freebsd at alt-network.com> wrote:
> What are the funnest, best look, best quality 3D game you have come across
> in the ports collection. Some I will list:
>
> BZFlag
> UT2003
> Foobillard
> TORCS
> BillardGL
> LBreakout (Not 3D But fun)
>
> Just to name a few.

<small gripe>
Until my ATI Radeon 9600XT is fully supported, I can't say ... I have 2D but
not 3D in FreeBSD.
</small gripe>

Of course, I got the card for gaming, but most of the games I have are for
win32 (one of the only reasons I keep it installed anymore), so it's not that
big of a deal, and I don't think of *BSD as a gaming platform. Still, the
card is over a year old at this point ... Wish I could write device drivers,
but even after some studying, it's still very much a mystery to me. However,
xmame keeps me pretty happy, that is until I get an itch to play Medieval:
Total War, Homeworld 2 or Morrowind, but at that point I have to reboot
anyway. I sincerely hope Project Evil will eventually allow me to utilize my
video card fully, if a 3D driver for *BSD isn't developed for it.

- jt