Dual Homing Networks with DSL and Cable

Lou Katz lou at metron.com
Sun Aug 22 11:08:34 PDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 01:00:02AM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:
> [...]

Some networks will not pass outbound traffic that has a source address
NOT in the correct net. I have more than one inbound net, and have found
that, for a small number of BSD machines, putting up IPFW and using the
'fwd' rules works.

For the case of three networks all with static IP addresses, my network
card is assigned three IP addresses in ifconfig which results in lines
in rc.firewall (for example):

net1ip="a.b.c.123"
net2ip="e.f.g.74"
net3ip="h.i.j.202"

Each of the networks has a different gateway with rc.firewall entries:

net1gw="a.b.c.1"
net2gw="e.f.g.1"
net3gw="h.i.j.1"

Packets coming in addressed to netX1ip are replied to from that IP address,
so the following rules direct them to the correct default routes:

        ${fwcmd} add fwd  all from ${net1ip} to ${net1ip}
        ${fwcmd} add fwd  all from ${net2ip} to ${net23p}
        ${fwcmd} add fwd  all from ${net3ip} to ${net3ip}

Works fine for me. Haven't done this for NAT'd IP addresses, though.

> Thanks,
>
> Eric F Crist
> Best Access Systems
> 11300 Rupp Dr. Burnsville, MN 55337