stale dependencies

Michael C. Shultz ringworm at inbox.lv
Sat Aug 21 07:35:17 PDT 2004

On Saturday 21 August 2004 2:22 am, Mark Withers wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I've been using FBSD for a few years now, but am not
> sure as to what a 'stale dependency' is...
>
> I am receiving an error message with ymessenger pkg
> that it has stale dependencies and to use 'pkgdb -F'
> to fix or -O to force.
>
> I'm a bit inexperienced when it comes to repairing the
> package db and would appreciate any pointers you can
> give.
>
> Thanks for listening...
>
> Mark

Stale dependency means portupgrade doesn't recognize
the dependency port used to build the  listed port. It wants
you to use pkgdb -F so it can force the dependency to be something
portupgrade recognizes.

Though your listed port was built with a "stale" (out of date) dependency
port, portupgrade wants to change so that it looks like the listed port was
built with a current up to date dependency.

A better approach is to rebuild the port with newer, up to date dependency
ports that are not "stale".

I suggest you get a current cvsup then update your port collection with
sysutils/portmanager, it will rebuild your ports with only up to date
dependencies.

-Mike