dhcpd MAC filter

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Aug 20 11:01:37 PDT 2004

Wayne M Barnes wrote:
>     Is there a way to allow or disallow certain computers by their
> MAC number?

ipfw 2 supports firewalling by MAC address, so yes.

>     This ability comes with the software on my wireless access point,
> but I prefer that my FreeBSD system hand out the IP addresses,
> and I cannot find this MAC-filtering ability at man dhcpd.
>
>    isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.1.r14_2 is my installed port.
> Is there another dhpcd to try?

You can specify MAC addresses in your DHCP config to reserve specific IP
addresses for specific machines.  I'm not sure whether there is a way to tell
DHCP not to grant a lease to MAC addresses which are not found, but then,
without using a firewall, someone could manually configure a foreign host to
use the connection, regardless of whether they can get a DHCP lease.

--
-Chuck