UNIX fonts on OSX

Joshua Lewis jmlewis at dslextreme.com
Fri Aug 20 09:29:01 PDT 2004

Ok I said my piece. And thanks to you Tony Shadwick for sticking up for
me. I appreciate it. Nice to see some people remember that you have to ask
questions to learn and knowledge is not passed down genetically to the
youth.

> yes, wrong list. no LOL.

Well I guess you woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

> the base system is not freebsd. Please use google and educate yourself.
> This has been dealt with a lot of times already.

The base system is Darwin. Darwin is derived from FreeBSD.

Here is a clipping from apples own site. If they are misleading people
take up your gripe with them.

The upgraded kernel, based on FreeBSD 5.x, provides optimized resource
locking for better scalability across multiple  processors, support for
64-bit memory pointers through the System library and standards-based
access control lists. The system enhances network services via a
next-generation launch daemon and centralized application logging. Tiger
also features command-line access to Spotlight for searching application
metadata and enables many common UNIX utilities to

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/unix.html

Do a search for FreeBSD on Apple's site and you will see pages and pages
of FreeBSD references in OS X.

>> One, I thought OSX had a OS9 compatibility layer of some sort. Is this
>> wrong?

Thank you for stating the obvious. Yes, there is Classic. In addition, yes
it sucks. If you take the time and re-read, the subject it says "Unix
fonts on OS X" the classic thing was more of a grip (I apologize to
everyone. The mailing list is not a place for grips). I wanted to know if
anyone had tried or knew if FreeBSD Fonts would work in OS X, as they are
a kin to each other.

But hey thanks for not helping at all. Hope you have a good weekend.

Sorry to everyone I do not usually respond to people who are more of a
nuisance then helpful but he got under my skin and I do not know why.

Thank you,
Joshua Lewis

Felix Kronlage