dealing with deffective RAM

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Thu Aug 19 23:56:13 PDT 2004

On Aug 19, 2004, at 11:47 PM, Laurentiu Pancescu wrote:

> I've tested the entire week, with some weird results.
> No errors are found inside any of the two modules,
> when I test them separately (in slot one).  When I
> have both modules, I get a few hundreds errors.  I've
> cleaned the slots and the contacts, but no change.
> The funny thing is that all the errors seem located in
> the 0-128M range, even if I swap the position of the
> two modules.  I've tested multiple times, for up to 16
> hours at a time, and the results are consistent: no
> errors with a single module, a lot of them with both
> inserted, no matter which is the order of the modules
> (original, or swapped).  I assume it's the fault of
> the motherboard, not of the memory modules.

What motherboard and chipset?  We had memory problems (at least when
testing the memory -- not sure if there were problems running a real
OS) with the Abit KG-7 which has the AMD 760 and Via split chipset...
Memory would give lots of errors in one specific range, no matter which
DIMM we used, but when tested in another motherboard that had a
straight AMD (not split between an AMD North? bridge and Via South?
bridge) chipset there were no errors.

We replaced the motherboard with something else.

Chad