How to Build a Custom Port Tree

Abid Saigol abid at saigol.biz
Thu Aug 19 17:18:30 PDT 2004

Kevin:

Thanks for the initial feedback and welcome message:

> > <>2) How do I setup a single application port?
>

> You would need the skeleton installed in some directory,
> (generally /usr/ports/somecategory/someapp), and then
> go to that location and type "make install clean", most
> usually.

I get the fact that I have to create the directory structure in /usr/ports.
What I can't figure out is where to get the skeleton for a single port.
When I search a single port and it points me to mirrors for the specific
port, is that the skeleton you are referring to.  If I download that file
and extract, will it extract to the correct directory, like WinZip does if
path info is stored in the archive?

> If you're limited on space and don't want the ports tree, I'd suggest
> you not install it at all, and use packages instead.  You could always
> see what's out there by browsing over at freshports.org, or, for a small
> set of apps, the individual home pages of each project, and simply use
> pkg_add(1) and friends...

I am trying to use the packages, but find it difficult to add some of the
features (modules) to these packages as the documentation normally calls for
a recompile.  This is why I am trying to nail down the ability to compile
individual ports without installing the entire Ports tree.  I am actually
trying to setup a lean and limited function (HTTP/SMTP/SQL) server on an old
box with limited disk space.