Advice on webmail server

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu Aug 19 11:56:37 PDT 2004

> Hi all,
>
> I'm hoping someone can give me some tips on setup for a server I'm
> making. It's going to be a webmail server for a client, with probably
> no more then 700-800 total accounts, with maybe up to 250 concurrent
> users. Will be some HTML mail (bleh!) and flash/animated gif/etc also.
> I thought of Squirrelmail as the likely candidate. Mostly internal
> connections, with external via SSL available. Bandwidth isn't an
> issue.
>
> The server is a HP ProLiant DL380, twin 2.8GHz Xeon, 2G ram. 2x36.4G
> 10k Ultra320 and 4x72.8G 10k Ultra320.
>
> I have the 36.4G drives mirrored, for OS and config stuff, and was
> going to make the 4x72.8G a raid5 and that be the mail spool
> partition. Is that sound like a good idea?
>
> I've not used FreeBSD for anything like this before and frankly am not
> sure what changes from default I should use, if any. Should I stick
> with 4.10, or is 5.2.1 OK? Any sysctl changes? Default kernel OK?

Sounds like you have most everything covered.   For a production server,
stick with 4.10 for now.   Later, do a massive upgrade to 5.3 when it
has been proven for a bit.   Basically, stick with the defaults unless
they prove lacking.    There is generally a reason they became the
default and often it is even a good reason.

Squirrel works pretty well for a webmail server.  Of course you will
need to install Apache or something equivalent.  You might want to add
an Email list utility such as Majordomo or Mailman.

////jerry