FreeBSD scanners

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 19 06:52:57 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:01:07AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Interesting.  I've just had a very bad experience with Canon's
> scanners.  See
> http://wwww.lemis.com/grog/product-reviews/Canon-breakage.html for the
> whole sad story.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised.  Since USB is the scanners "standard"
interface, I noted more and more "bad" scanners: bad/weak GUI
(for example the GUI coming with some EPSON Perfection scanners is the
worst I ever used), bad performance, cheap/buggy hardware.

The Canon LIDE 30 is not the best scanner available around, but it's
just a "decent" scanner for 69 Euros... and is supported by SANE.

I also own an old Agfa SnapScan 600 SCSI, and it's another world.

BTW, as always, your pages are really interesting.

Marc