Removing the ports dir to start all over

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Wed Aug 18 10:37:14 PDT 2004

On 08/18/04 10:22 AM, Joshua Lewis sat at the `puter and typed:
> I ran a cvsup this morning and now when running a make index I get several
> errors. I also am getting several errors when running a make search
> key=mono |more
>
> I figured I would just clean out the ports dir and start over. However I
> don't want to go though and remove everyfile and ever dirrectory from the
> ports tree. And the man for rmdir only has a -p switch.

Not sure what the question is, but I gather you're looking for the
remove recursive?

Be careful with this one:
rm -rf <whatever>

Just don't use '*' for <whatever>.  If you inadvertently use that from
the wrong place, you'll loose a lot more than you bargained for.

Before you do that though, just go to the ports directory and type:
make fetchindex
which will go get an updated INDEX file.

I also seem to remember there is a problem rebuilding the index when
you have ports subdirectories in the refuse file.  I had a similar
problem in 5.2.1, but I don't remember ever rebuilding the index in
4.10.

HTH

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Mencken and Nathan's Second Law of The Average American:
  All the postmasters in small towns read all the postcards.