X configuration problem - new info

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 18 04:30:30 PDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:47:50 -0700, "Jay O'Brien" <jayobrien at att.net>
said:
[snip]
> After over an hour and a half of downloading (and I have a 1.3MHz DSL) I
> tried again. Now I get different error messages, and I don't understand
> at all what this unwanted download has done to my computer.
> The errors are:
>
>    VGA(0): Virtual height (0) is too small for the hardware (min 1)
>    Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> I'm going to wipe the HD clean again and start over, using my current ISO
> CD. This download, with many separate unrelated files, has me really
> concerned about what I unwittingly added to my HD. I don't even know
> where all the files I saw come in are now placed on the HD!

Seems like the problems are with X config rather than what files are
living on your HD.  There are any number of X config files/tutorials on
the Net to read through and compare to what you're getting in
/etc/X11/XF86Config.  If that doesn't give you a good idea what to fix,
send your config file to the list so someone smarter than I am can help
you.  ;-)

> Is there any disadvantage to installing XFree86 with # pkg_add -r XFree86
> as compared to using /stand/sysinstall, select Configure | XFree86 ?

You just have to do the config step separately after pkg_add.
Otherwise, no difference I'm aware of.

Jud