xtset or xtermset tricks?

Duane Winner duanewinner at att.net
Tue Aug 17 18:52:04 PDT 2004

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 12:41:02PM -0400, Duane Winner wrote:
>
>>Found a solution!
>>
>>In ~/.bashrc, put this:
>>
>>cd ()
>>{
>>   builtin cd "$@"
>>   /usr/local/bin/xtset %u@%h:`pwd`
>>}
>>

>>-Duane
>>

>>Duane Winner wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Hey, does anybody know of any useful tricks for automating xtset or
>>>xtermset?
>>>
>>>I use xtset to set the title and icon labels to user at host:path so I can
>>>keep track of my xterms littered all over my desktop (pretty frequent! :)
>>>
>>>But it sure would be nice to have them updated whenever I 'cd' to
>>>another directory or 'su' to another user or 'ssh' to another host!
>>>

> 	[ ... ]
>

> 	I've got a slight problem with having the host/directory/etc on the
> 	title bar. It will help clear my zsh right-prompt, of course.
> 	But how do you set the title bar *back* to the name of the xterm?
> 	(My xterms are titled "Mail", "Net", "Hacking", "Scratch", and so
> 	forth.)  Is there a way of using xtset/xtermset to retrieve the
> 	-n "Name"??

Hm, not sure. I just started with xtset myself this morning when I
decided I was getting sick of having 10 xterm windows all over my lawn
with the name 'xterm'. I never gave descriptive labels since I'm most
often ssh'd into other boxes and am more interested in where I am.

Maybe, depending on how you start each xterm (icon/shortcut), you could
set a variable name (XTNAME="Mail") for each one, then run:
# xtset `echo $XTNAME`

But now, since I hammered out that little cd() function for .bashrc, I
found another little problem:

If I su to another user (for instance, "su - root"), the title changes
as long as the other account has my the function in .bashrc, but when I
exit, the title still has the old credentials (example: root at mybox:~)
until I cd somewhere again. Sigh.

Cheers,
Duane