multi-homing and pf; removing user with uid 0

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Aug 17 14:46:49 PDT 2004

Marc Cabanatuan wrote:
[ ... ]
> Right now I've got a /27 and I am attemtpting to add 5 addresses of
> that adress block (ipv4) to the box as either seperate addreses (not
> aliases to the primary interface) or seperate addresses bound to
> sub-interfaces. So far I have been unsuccessful and the host told me
> to use aliases.

FreeBSD doesn't let you configure multiple IP addresses within the same
subnet.  You will either have to use different netmasks, or else use aliases
as recommended.

> I also wish for these settings to stay after (re)boot.

See /etc/rc.conf, and add something like:

# Sample alias entry.
#ifconfig_lo0_alias0="inet 127.0.0.254 netmask 0xffffffff"

> Not to mention they say my firewall is the problem and they couldn't
> get out to the internet from root console (im using pf and have the
> rule of 'pass out all'.

Hmm.

> Next thing, a second account just 'showed up' on the box with uid 0.
>
> toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root: - from /etc/master.passwd
>
> I suspect it was techs from the host, but I want it off the machine.
> How do I do this?

FreeBSD ships with a toor account available but disabled, which can be useful
if someone breaks the shell used by the root account itself.  If you want to
get rid of it, run vipw.

--
-Chuck