802.1x

Cubicool cubicool at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 17 10:54:58 PDT 2004

I'm not trying to offend anyone by bumping this, but I'm actually pretty
desperate to know what the status is. Surely I'm not the only person to need
802.1x authentication over wireless on a FreeBSD box? :)

Anyways, again, sorry for the bumpage, but I have another complete day off
and if I can find out that FreeBSD doesn't support it yet, I'm going to try
and spend this time finding an alternative solution. If, however, support
will be added soon, I won't reformat and I'll just go without net access for
a while at school.

Regards...

(original message below, sent about 15hrs ago)

I will be attending college in a few weeks. The network at this uni requires
802.1x authentication over wireless connections. I've scoured google all
over and discovered Open1x--which has openly dropped all BSD support
--and a guy who has ported Open1x, but only on wired connections. I'm a
decent programmer in some regards, but not so much C/system code, so it's
not like I could just make the neccesary adjustments and recompile. :)

Is 802.1x supported on FreeBSD yet? I know I can build open1x on a Linux
box, but that is my ABSOLUTE LATE resort. I really want to keep using
FreeBSD, but if I can't access the school's network I won't be able to
continue doing so.

What's the status of this in FreeBSD, including the upcoming 5.3? Am I just
out of luck?