Harddrive beginning to expire?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Aug 17 10:04:17 PDT 2004

In the last episode (Aug 17), doug at polands.org said:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:08:19AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > It probably still has some life left in it.  It looks like you
> > don't have automatic write reallocation enabled, since the block
> > number is the same on both requests.  You can enable it by running
> > "camcontrol mode da5 -e -m 1 -P 3", and setting AWRE to 1.  That
> > will let the drive remap that disk block to a spare one.  You can
> > monitor how many blocks have been reallocated by viewing the grown
> > defect list: "camcontrol defects da5 -f phys -G".  If you use -P
> > instead of -G, you can see the primary defect list, which is a list
> > of all the bad blocks found when the disk was shipped.
>
> Great!  Am I correct in assuming that these commands should be issued
> in single user mode with the vinum volume not mounted?

You can run them at any time.  The AWRE change should be immediate, and
the defects command is just a status inquiry and won't affect anything.

Some drives don't update the current settings until the drive is reset,
so if "camcontrol mode da5 -m 1 -P 0" shows AWRE at 0 while "-P 3"
shows it at 1, you may need to reset the drive ("camcontrol reset da5"
with the vinum volume dismounted, or a power-cycle).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com