Samsung Cordless Mouse

Tim Aslat tim at spyderweb.com.au
Mon Aug 16 19:45:26 PDT 2004

In the immortal words of Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at FreeBSD.org>...

> More by accident than by design, I find myself the owner of a Samsung
> PS/2 Cordless Mouse.  To make identification easier, it doesn't have a
> model number, so I assume it's the only one they made.

I've come across one of these myself recently, interesting, but
practically useless.

> This mouse has five buttons: the normal three on top, and one on each
> side.  I can't find a way to get the side buttons to work, and looking
> on the web hasn't shown anything of interest.

There are several models and manufacturers of this kind of rodent.  You
might want to experiment with it in X (man xev is a good place to
start), but a simple solution is to see what it's detected as when the
system boots up.

> I don't suppose anybody knows this mouse, though I'd be interested in
> hearing if somebody has.  My real question is: how can I enable the
> side buttons?  There's obviously some kind of initialization sequence
> that is performed by the Microsoft drivers included with the mouse,
> but how do I find out what they do?  Is there some utility that runs
> under Microsoft and snoops what's going on on the PS/2 port?  I know
> of something similar for USB, but so far I've drawn a blank for PS/2.

The buttons are probably already enabled, but you might need to mess
with some X resources to make them do anything useful.

Also, try something like
Option "Buttons" "5"
int the /etc/X11/XF86Config file

> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> If you don't, I may ignore the reply or reply to the original
> recipients. For more information, see
> http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

I'd like to but I don't have control over my upstream providers DNS or
mail settings so your mail server rejects anything I send and there's
not a lot I can do about it.

Cheers

Tim

--