How to increase scrollback for FreeBSD-4.10?

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 16 07:40:56 PDT 2004

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> [...]
card.

>> I searched the FBSD mail archives going back to 2003 and
>> could not find
>> a single reference.  I also googled and could not turn up
anything
>> specific to FBSD.
>>
>> Hints?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael
>
> kbdcontrol

Scroll Lock History
While your system boots, probe messages scroll across the consoles
screen so fast that you can not read them. Or when you list the
contents of a large directory the same thing happens. The messages
may have scrolled off your screen, but they are still in the screen
buffer. You can redisplay the messages from the screen buffer. You
hit the keyboard 'scroll lock' button, (IE: top row right side) and
then use the keyboard up arrow button to scroll back through the
screen buffer to redisplay the message lines. The 'page up' and
'page down' buttons also work to move backward and forwards through
the screen buffer one full screen page at a time. Hit the 'scroll
lock' button again when you are finished to return to the command
line prompt.

The default size of the screen buffer is to small to contain all the
boot messages, so it should be increased to 200 lines.

This is how you increase the size of the screen buffer.

Add the -h 200 option onto the allscreens_flags= statement you
already added to the /etc/rc.conf file

ee /etc/rc.conf

and add this statement,

allscreens_flags="–h 200"  # -h size of scroll lock buffer in number
of lines

Save the changed file and ‘reboot’ your system for your edit changes
to take effect.