Can't detect COM ports...

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 15 12:14:18 PDT 2004

it was said:

>I have got a problem with my HS56 PCTel modem because I can not enable
>my serial ports. The first two ports are automatically enabled, but
>the third and the fourth does not get enabled. I read the handbook
>and
>tried to do it myself, but without success. I have connected the
>modem
>to the COM3 port(sio2). When I take the output of "dmesg" command I
>get the following output....

Hello,

Do you actually have four serial ports? Most computers come with two or
less. Is the modem internal or external? If it is internal, it is
almost certainly a "winmodem", meaning it needs to do signal processing
through calls to the Windows OS, and most probably won't work under
FBSD. If it is external, what happens if you connect to one of the
ports that are detected?

Regards,

Stheg