The switch to X.org

Tim Kellers kellers at njit.edu
Sat Aug 14 22:02:40 PDT 2004

On Sunday 15 August 2004 12:51 am, Clinton MacKinnon wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know where I can find, or what exactly needs to be done to
> switch a 5.2.1 system from XFree86 to X.org. Due to the lists currently
> being down I'm unable to find the official HEADS UP articles I was
> looking for.
>
> Thank you in advance

>From /usr/src/Updating

20040723:
  AFFECTS: users of FreeBSD-current, users of xorg
  AUTHOR: anholt at FreeBSD.org

  The XFREE86_VERSION variable is deprecated and has been replaced by the
  X_WINDOW_SYSTEM variable. X_WINDOW_SYSTEM may be set to xorg, xfree86-4, or
  xfree86-3.  X_WINDOW_SYSTEM defaults to xorg on FreeBSD-current.  If you are
  switching to xorg, you should follow this set of commands to cleanly
upgrade:

  pkg_delete -f /var/db/pkg/imake-4* /var/db/pkg/XFree86-*
  cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make install
  pkgdb -F

  Users of -stable or older -current can switch to X.Org by setting
  X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg in make.conf and following the same process.

You should have portupgrade installed before you attempt the above
instructions.  Assuming you do, follow the above instructions exactly.
I did exactly the above, and it worked fine for me, though when running pkgdb
-F, some of the replacement xorg choices aren't intuitive.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT