find -exec surprisingly slow

Gary gv-list-freebsdquestions at mygirlfriday.info
Sat Aug 14 19:13:35 PDT 2004

Hi Paul,

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:09:55 +0930 UTC (8/14/2004, 8:39 PM -0500 UTC my
time), Paul A. Hoadley trunco scripsit:

>> Reducing the number of processes spawned will certainly help some,
>> but a better idea is to not have so many files in a single directory
>> - that is just asking for trouble.

P> I'm not sure that I can make qmail do anything else.  These are spams
P> sent to non-existent addresses at my domain, being caught by
P> .qmail-default.

Question... why do you have a .qmail-default file to begin with? If you have
proper namespace or .qmail- files for your users, it is not necessary at
all... all would then be bounced. Or if you wish just to drop mail coming in
to .qmail-default, just put a # in it...

P>  What I am going to do is clear out the Maildir daily
P> instead of monthly, though.  Collecting them has become a significant
P> drain on disk space---the 400K spams are the result of about a month
P> and a half of collection.

I would never think of collecting them at all, not even allow them in. There
are several techniques just to block them at SMTP negotiation all together,
so they don't even enter your system...

--
Gary