FreeBSD scanners

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Aug 14 16:43:11 PDT 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Anton Alin-Adrian wrote:

> EPSON perfection 1670

http://www.sane-project.org says it has "good" support for the 1670.

There's an entry for the printer in /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/uscanner.c
(FreeBSD 4.10), so FreeBSD should detect it as a "uscanner" device.
(Assuming you'll be using USB; can't say how other interfaces work.)

Based on my experience with the Epson Perfection 1640SU (works fine),
this would be the way I'd look.  Epson is better about assisting the
open-source community than many other manufacturers.

It may be possible to get the Expression 1680 to work, because SANE
says it has "complete" support for it.

There's no entry for the scanner in uscanner.c, but adding entries isn't
difficult; usbdevs -v will tell you the ID numbers.  It's not a
guarantee that it would work, though.