Running Mozilla FireBird 6.1.6 Under Linux Emulation On FreeBSD 4.10

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Sat Aug 14 08:10:09 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 03:50, Rob DeMarco wrote:

>   While I have some familiarity with the ports tree, I didn't install
> it this time because of limited disk space (though I suppose I could
> do a partial port-tree install).  Also, my P150 makes compiles long
> and painful :)
>   To avoid all that, I'm trying to see if a simple binary pkg_add
> to Linux-emul 7 would do the trick.

You can instruct portupgrade to use binary packages only when
upgrading.  See the "-PP" option for details.

Be careful when using partial ports trees that you get all the portions
a package needs.  (Portupgrade still needs to be able to determine what
the latest version is of a port and its dependencies.)

Also, if you do decide to force-delete emulators/linux_base 6 and
pkg_add emulators/linux_base 7 then be sure to run "pkgdb -F" to fix up
the dependencies.

> I could try a direct pkg_add from the FBSD-5 ports tree (it all
> goes into /compat anyway, right?) but I'm not sure about the kld
> issue.  Anyway, I'll think about my options, and whether compiling
> from scratch is really worth it for me.  Thanks for your help!

There is a linux_base-7.1_7.tgz in the packages-4.10-release/emulators
directory on ftp.freebsd.org (under /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386).  That
would be a better option for you, IMHO, if you're running 4-STABLE.

I seem to recall when installing linux_base-8 that the only thing it
actually compiled and built was the rpm package (a dependency).  The
rest was just fetching and unpacking various RPMs.  So, I wouldn't worry
about too much compilation demands for this particular port.

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa