Do I need to setup an IP Alias

Abid Saigol abid at saigol.biz
Fri Aug 13 19:59:56 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "stheg olloydson" <stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com>
To: <abid at saigol.biz>
Cc: <questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 8:32 PM
Subject: [spam] Re: Do I need to setup an IP Alias

> Hello,
>
> Did they allocate more than one? I mean, one to be the
> oif of the Linksys and another one that you can assign
> as an alias on the FBSD box? If so, you _can_. But
> that should only be neccesary if you need to access
> the box from the internal network via the external
> network. On the other hand, you don't even need to put
> the server in the DMZ. The Linksys should let you do
> port forwarding for just the port(s) you actually need
> exposed. The more layers between your server and the
> Internet, the better.
>

> HTH,
>
> Stheg

Thanks for the input.

I have only one fixed IP that is being handled by the Linksys router.  I was
only concerned that anyone using IP addressing on the internet should be
able to access the HTTP and SMTP services.  And once I have a clearer
picture of my traffic, I intend to switch over to port forwarding.

Abid