mozilla and courier-imap

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 11:46:42 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 01:34:35PM -0400, Richard Coleman wrote:
> Ed Budd wrote:
> >>I'm using the most recent ports for mozilla and courier-imap on an
> >> up-to-date FreeBSD-stable.  Very often I will not see new messages
> >>in a folder until I restart mozilla.  I was convinced it was
> >>mozilla that was broken, but I've seen similar behavior using
> >>Thunderbird on my Windows box.  Now I'm not so sure.
> >
> >How are messages being routed to folders? If you're using some kind
> >of server-side filtering make sure the box is checked that says
> >"check this folder for new messages" in the properties of each
> >folder. If the only filtering is through the user-configured rules in
> >mozilla/thunderbird then everything gets delivered to the INBOX (or
> >whatever is set up as imap root folder) and then filtered/routed to
> >other folders AFTER the client is opened/started.
> >
> >IOW this may be normal behaviour, not a broken client.
>
> All the filtering is on the client side, so that is not the problem.
> The odd thing is that the client shows that there are new messages in
> the folder.  But when you click on the folder, none of the new messages
> are in the listing.  It looks like a caching problem, but I'm not sure
> if it is the client or server that is having the problem.
>
> But thanks for the response.

Hmmm... You might want to give dovecot a try on the server side.  It's
really rather good.  As for IMAP clients: if you've got a spare PHP
enabled webserver anywhere, squirrelmail is pretty simple to set up.

IMAP is pretty tricky that way: all of the different clients and
servers implement only approximately the same protocol and getting
everything to agree on a compatible set of quirks can be a bore.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way