Looking for commercial code gone open source

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Fri Aug 13 07:06:33 PDT 2004

At 07:10 AM 8/13/2004, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

>Does anyone know where there are any web-accessible examples of large or
>medium sized commercial software products that have been open sourced?
>
>I'd like to see some examples of code that were not written from the
>beginning with the intention of being open source.

While it's not available yet, Sun did announce recently that Solaris would
become open source. They also wouldn't commit to a date when that
would happen; I suspect they're quite busy trying to clean up the kinds of
messy "not intended for public view" things that you're probably looking for.

Someone else already mentioned StarOffice. Don't forget the Netscape ->
Mozilla code path as well. I assume you can still get the original commercial
code base somewhere.