/etc/make.conf

Henrik W Lund henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no
Wed Aug 11 08:29:45 PDT 2004

Roberto Nunnari wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Please also reply to my mailbox, as I'm not on the list.
> Thank you!
>

> Can anybody tell me about /etc/make.conf in FreeBSD-5.2.1 ??
>
> Yesterday I moved away /etc/make.conf that looked like this:
> pcm2028.dti.supsi.ch# cat /etc/make.conf.back
> # -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
> # Created: Thu Nov 13 18:49:33 2003
> # Setting to use base perl from ports:
> PERL_VER=5.6.1
> PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
> PERL_ARCH=mach
> NOPERL=yo
> NO_PERL=yo
> NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo
>
> then I went on on upgrading my ports system as described in
> /usr/ports/UPDATING..
>
> # portupgrade -o lang/perl5.8 -f perl-5.6.1_15
> # portupgrade -f p5-\*
>
> and all the rest till
> # portupgrade -rf textproc/expat2
>
> today, I went on to do make buildworld and checked /etc/make.conf
> and guess what? It is again there:
> pcm2028.dti.supsi.ch# cat /etc/make.conf
> # -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
> # Created: Tue Aug 10 16:35:06 2004
> # Setting to use base perl from ports:
> PERL_VER=5.6.1
> PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
> PERL_ARCH=mach
> NOPERL=yo
> NO_PERL=yo
> NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo
>
> so.. I just upgraded perl to 5.8, but somehow in /etc/make.conf
> it says to use version 5.6.1..
>
> why?
>
> pcm2028.dti.supsi.ch# which perl
> /usr/bin/perl
>
> pcm2028.dti.supsi.ch# perl --version
> This is perl, v5.6.1 built for i386-freebsd
>
> pcm2028.dti.supsi.ch# pkg_info|grep perl
> p5-DBI-1.41         The perl5 Database Interface.  Required for DBD::*
> modules
> p5-Test-Harness-2.40 Run perl standard test scripts with statistics
> p5-Test-Simple-0.47_1 Basic utilities for writing tests in perl
> p5-Time-HiRes-1.55,1 A perl5 module implementing High resolution time,
> sleep, an
> perl-5.6.1_15       Practical Extraction and Report Language
> perl-5.8.2_5        Practical Extraction and Report Language
>

> Thank you.

This is because perl 5.6.1 is the one used by default. You can switch
betwenn using the perl that came with the base system (5.6.1) and the
most recent perl that's in the ports by doing

`use.perl system'

and

`use.perl port'

respectively (the argument to the top one might be "base" instead of
"system", I'm not sure).

If you do this alot, /etc/make.conf will fill up with sections starting
with # -- use.perl generated deltas -- #, so I usually clean up every
now and then, leaving only one copy of them in.

Hopte this helps!

-Henrik W Lund