upgrade

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Aug 11 08:21:26 PDT 2004

--On Wednesday, August 11, 2004 12:59:46 AM -0500 Eric Crist
<ecrist at secure-computing.net> wrote:

> The difference between a binary upgrade and an upgrade via CVS or cvsup
> is the time between creation of the sources.  Binary upgrades generally
> come out durning major releases, for example, from 4.9 to 4.10.  Any
> security patches added between that time were only available with a
> CVS/cvsup upgrade, followed by a system rebuild.

This is simply not true.  You can upgrade all the sources using
freebsd-update.  Look in /usr/ports/security/freebsd-update.  I use this on
production servers now to lessen downtime.  All you have to do is a fetch,
then an install, then reboot, and you're done.  On a production webserver
getting millions of hits a month, this is a godsend.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member