Swappable Hard drives?

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Sun Aug 8 22:59:16 PDT 2004

Soon I will have two identical 120GB IDE HDs in my FBSD 4.10
system. One is to be basically a backup drive. Can I write a
MBR to the second HD and then swap cables when I want to
boot/run the system from the backup HD, assuming I've used pax
or dump to make the file systems identical? The "normal"
configuration will be both drives installed, but I would like
to be able to swap the cables (or change the boot sequence in
the BIOS) and boot off of the second HD.

Both drives will be "masters" on different IDE controllers.

There will be no other operating system on the computer, but
in the future I hope to use samba to copy files in and out to
Windows XP Pro computers on my LAN.

Jay O'Brien