file system setup for new system - recommendations?

Darren Crotchett alias2 at crotchett.com
Sun Aug 8 19:04:06 PDT 2004

I'm not as experienced as many others on this list, some of whom have already
given you their advice.  But, I have used FreeBSD for many years and will
gladly share what I think I have figured out about these topics with you.

Your planned usage sounds alot like the way I use FreeBSD.  I use it as a mail
server, Mailman list server, Samba file server and a web server for my
personal use.  All I can say about a 120GB is, "that's a ton of space".  I
have been using somewhere around 10G with about 40% free for years.  I
recently upgraded my failing SCSI drive with a 20G IDE.  And, I have plenty
of space for doing what I want to do (and what it sounds like you want to
do).  The only thing that I wish I had was more room to do backups.  But, as
someone else mentioned, you really don't have to backup anything other your
config files and your personal data (unless you want to backup other boxes to
it).

Now, about dividing it up.  I can speak from experience that you want /var on
its own partition.  It is where alot of log files and public ftp space goes.
If it fills up, you can easily recover from it.  And, mine has done it.
Don't worry too much about monitoring that.  You will get a nice email from
your box telling you if /var filled up.

The other directory that tends to grow is /usr.  This is where all of
your /home, /www and /ports directories are.  In other words, you put alot of
stuff in /usr.  I never put anything in /root.  So, once the system is built
it is nearly 100% static.

I hardly have to touch my FreeBSD box.  It pretty much just runs and runs.
So, whenever I do something like add a drive or replace a drive or something
like that, I always have to go back and re-read up on how to do it.  So, I
would recommend that whenever you use programs that you don't tend to use
very often like disklabel to partition or newfs, make good notes to yourself
and keep them somewhere like /usr/local/www/HOWTO.

One more suggestion.  Make learning portupgrade one of your first tasks.  It's
a little awkward at first.  But, keeping your box up to date and adding new
programs is easier that way.

Finally, back to what you really wanted to know, since you have plenty of
space, I would do something like what I have (see below) but with a
larger /usr and an additional /backup partition that was large enough to do
your backups (roughly the size of /usr + cushion).  Notice that my / is only
52M,  /tmp is 3.8M and /var is 81M.  My /hd2 is a small scsi drive that I do
backups on.  And, /usr is where I use all of my space.  So, if you doubled my
"/", "/tmp" and "/var" and split the remainder between /backup and /usr, I
think you would be in good shape.  Oh, and BTW, my /usr wouldn't be so big if
it just contained FreeBSD stuff.  But, I copied all of my mp3's from my
Windows box there for backup reasons.  I think that accounts for close to 4G
of the 5.5G it is using.

scsibox# df -h
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a   190M    52M   123M    30%    /
/dev/da0s1e   3.5G   339M   2.9G    10%    /hd2
/dev/ad0s1e   139M   3.8M   124M     3%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1g    18G    11G   5.5G    67%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1f   242M    81M   142M    36%    /var

Good luck.

Darren